Thursday, February 28, 2013

More Texture

Here's another portrait I did for media and tech. We laid down a layer of napthol red with a slight texture and then painted a portrait over the top. I used my own reference this time-- this is my little brother Isaac. 

Sunday, February 24, 2013

Terryl Whitlatch Workshop

Despite being sick and having missed the previous day of school, I forced myself out of bed for the Terryl Whitlatch workshop. Couldn't miss it! She was the creature designer for the new Star Wars movies, and the creator of the one and only Jar Jar Binks.

I'm not exactly interested in creature design per se, but I did feel that this would be beneficial for whatever I decide to do with my life as an artist. Terryl's skills are apparent. She has all of the anatomy of animals memorized and easily (due to years of experience) does overlays of the bone structure and musculature of her animal creations.

Here are a few of my sketches I did during the workshop:

We ended up having 60+ people show up, and had to move to a larger room following lunch. Pretty impressive turnout!

Thursday, February 21, 2013

Textured Backgrounds

Here are a couple more practice portrait paintings. I played with texture a little bit more on these ones. That's one thing I love about acrylic paints-- the ability to create great textures! For these, I roughly laid down the paint in the background and used a spray bottle to spray the paint before it dried completely. Then in some areas I pulled out the paint and water with a dry paper towel. 

Sunday, February 10, 2013

Little Red Riding Hood

Our most recent assignment for digital painting was similar to the three bears assignment from last semester. Except this one was little red riding hood. The assignment included use of texture, so we spent a class period in the watercolor room painting out a few textures traditionally. These textures were then scanned for use in digital paintings. I used my texture as an overlay, and then used multiple textures for opaque lights with the texture brush. Here is the finished piece: